commons-dev mailing list archives

From Evan Ward <evan.w...@nrl.navy.mil>
Subject Re: [math] fitting.leastsquares and stat.regression
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2014 19:37:54 GMT
Phil suggested we discuss the relationship of the two least squares
packages in [math]

Current Status

Currently both fitting.leastsquares and stat.regression have least
squares implementations. The fitting.leastsquares package supports
non-linear least squares with weights, pluggable optimization
algorithms, and (soon) data editing. The package is written from an
optimization/engineer's perspective.

As far as I can tell the stat.regression implementations are for linear
least squares. Some of the implementations contain neat optimizations,
for example requiring O(1) space for n data points. This package seems
to be written more from a statistician/economist's perspective.

1. Keep separate packages.
2. delegate the implementation from one package to the other
3. merge into a single package. (could lead to some interesting
algorithms. e.g. non-linear general least squares)

Phis, please add any important points I've missed.

Best Regards,
Evan