commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <mben...@apache.org>
Subject [VOTE] Release Apache Commons Weaver 1.0 based on RC2
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2014 00:24:13 GMT
Apache Commons Weaver 1.0 RC2 is available for review at:
  https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/weaver/ (r4567).

Maven artifacts are at:
  https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1015/
 .

Tested with Oracle JDKs 6, 7 and 8.

The Subversion tag is:
  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/weaver/tags/1.0_RC2/
 (r1574250).

Site:
  http://people.apache.org/~mbenson/commons-weaver-1.0-rc2/index.html

RAT Report:
  http://people.apache.org/~mbenson/commons-weaver-1.0-rc2/rat-report.html

Keys: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/commons/KEYS

The following issues were raised with RC1:

> - The names of the distributions files contain a -dist suffix, and they
> also deflate in a directory named -dist. This is not typical for other
> commons components.

Fixed; the dist module is now named commons-weaver.

> - The binary distribution does not contain the release notes.

Fixed.

> - The jar artifacts contain LICENSE and NOTICE without the .txt extension.

Fixed.

- There is a bunch of checkstyle errors. For an initial release it would
> be good to start with a clean code base.

With the exception of one method with errors I accidentally introduced just
before the release, these were all either test code or red herrings. For
this [weaver] will no longer publish an aggregate checkstyle report, but
the modules for which checkstyle is relevant will publish their own
specific reports.

> - From the documentation on the site it is hard to get an understanding
> what this component does and how it can be used in practice. Maybe a
> short "getting started guide" or "some steps to start your project"
> would be helpful (I know this is much work to do and less fun than coding).

Some work has begun in this regard on the site.

I've never seen the AL header in release notes before.
> Not sure that's necessary (and it makes the notes harder to read).
>
> This has been fixed.

> The poms don't include any groupId definitions.

I do not plan to address this as it seems to be common practice in the
Maven-using world to omit a redundant groupId.

I would also like to see reports for FindBugs and PMD. Also: use
> commons-parent 33 to pick up the new skin.

These items are done.

Please review the release candidate and vote.
  This vote will close no sooner that 72 hours from now, i.e. after 0100UTC
8-March 2014

  [ ] +1 Release these artifacts
  [ ] +0 OK, but...
  [ ] -0 OK, but really should fix...