commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1573038 - /commons/proper/compress/trunk/src/test/java/org/apache/commons/compress/compressors/bzip2/PythonTruncatedBzip2Test.java
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2014 00:47:55 GMT
On 1 March 2014 19:53, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've said it before: doocracy. If someone wants to take on the work to
> provide 1.5 support, they've widened the audience of the component, which
> should be seen as a win if it didn't cause anyone else a problem.

Which is what I just did; I fixed the test code so it still compiled
with Java 1.5.

I do wish people would stop taking that as an opportunitty to suggest
a completely unnecessary move to a later version of Java.

> Maybe we
> should have a [compatibility] component to capture these backports in a
> reusable way! ;-)

It's not a backport; that would require a lot more work.

The point is that most Commons components are intended for wide re-use.
Unnecessarily restricting the field of use is plain wrong in my opiniong.