commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject [Math] Javadoc with Java 8 (Was: svn commit: r1591664 [2/2] - ...)
Date Thu, 01 May 2014 20:31:24 GMT
Hi.

I don't like most of the changes performed on the Javadoc; most of them
are going in the wrong direction IMHO, the most severe being the use of
HTML "entities" rather than using MathJax.[1]

Last time I checked W3C was trying to make HTML a valid XML language;
now from what I read in this commit, Java 8 insists on being invalid
XML...
Since when was it decided to comply with Java 8 despite that it does
not
seem to be an obvious move?

Until there is agreement on a way out, I think that we should have
followed the route proposed here:

http://blog.joda.org/2014/02/turning-off-doclint-in-jdk-8-javadoc.html
(i.e. disable the enforcement of the new rules).

Gilles

[1] I stress, again, that IMO Javadoc must mostly be kept readable by
     developers.