commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Tobias" <mich...@tobias.org.uk>
Subject RE: [CODEC] Beider Morse Phonetic Matching Bug and questions
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2014 17:00:46 GMT
Steve Morse has supplied me with an email trail from May 2011 where both he and Alexander Beider
give their permission to the developer who ported the code from php to java to allow the algorithm
to be licensed under the Apache 2 open-source license.

I can post the thread here or submit it privately - your call.

Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary Gregory [mailto:garydgregory@gmail.com]
Sent: 11 June 2014 16:39
To: Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [CODEC] Beider Morse Phonetic Matching Bug and questions

I can but it won't be for s couple of hours...

Gary

<thomas.neidhart@gmail.com> </div><div>Date:06/11/2014  11:16  (GMT-05:00)
stated several times that the contributed code is a port from php, but it looks like that
everybody assumed he was the copyright owner of the php code (which he obviously isn't).

It is important to add links (e.g. papers or reference implementations) for such code / algorithms,
especially in the case of ported code.
Not only to have a clear trace of the license situation but also to be able to backport changes/fixes
from the original source.

Regarding the re-licensing of the original source:

I hope the authors agree, but usually there is a reason why code is published under GPL rather
than BSD/MIT/Apache style licenses.
An option would be to explicitly grant the ASF the permission to use their code (including
the rule files) so that they do not have to re-publish their own code.

Regarding a clean-room implementation: I do not think this is feasible, as the core of the
algorithm are the associated rule files which also do not appear in the paper itself.

As the maintainer of codec, do you want to contact the authors about this issue?

Thomas