commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Eckenfels <e...@zusammenkunft.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1598071 - in /commons/proper/jcs/trunk/commons-jcs-core/src/main/java/org/apache/commons/jcs: auxiliary/disk/ engine/control/ engine/memory/ utils/logger/ utils/struct/
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2014 01:01:45 GMT
Am Sun, 1 Jun 2014 23:43:10 +0100
schrieb sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com>:

> On 1 June 2014 20:19, Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > well it is for sure thread safe. Not sure I get why final and synch
> > would be mandatory in this particular case (field will maybe be
> > cached by thread but that's not an issue since the value will be
> > unique).
>
> non-final fields are not guaranteed to be published across threads in
> the absence of sync.

The two fields wont change, so there is no need for publishing changes.
So they dont need to be volatile. They could be made however final to
make it clearer that they will not change (but IMHO this does not make
them more or less thread safe).

I feel indifferent about beeing able to turn off trace/debug by
overwriting the underlying logger. If we are really so logger
agnostic it is probably a good idea. At least when commons-logging is
not able to abstract this shortcoming away.

Gruss
Bernd