commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [MATH-1120] Needed opinion about support on variations in percentile calculation
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:02:33 GMT
On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 11:50:13 +0100, Schalk W. Cronjé wrote:
> As a consumer of the library I'll have no idea what R_1 means. Even
> if I
> know what is is, I might have forgotten what it is at the time of
> usage, so
> a mental reminder might be useful. At the minimum the javadoc should
> refer
> to the link you have shown.

In the current state, the Javadoc refers to a Wikipedia article, which
itself
refers to the R manual.
The Javadoc also shows the formulae used to implement the variant at
hand.

> Even better if you rather use something like INV_EDF_R1 which at
> least
> might remind me that it is the inverse empiral distribution function
> and is
> equivalent to R's Type 1.

I also prefer explicit names but I have no idea of what would be
explicit
enough (without being extremely lengthy).

Regards,
Gilles