commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [MATH-1120] Needed opinion about support on variations in percentile calculation
Date Wed, 11 Jun 2014 10:40:27 GMT
On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 20:03:57 +0800 (SGT), venkatesha m wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am looking for opinion on the name of the enum for the various
> estimation strategies.
> This is a public static enum under Percentile and i wish to call it
> EstimationTecnique.
> Would appreciate if you can provide feedback on the name or the
> current proposed name is fine.
>
> I have the patch attached to MATH-1120
> (percentile-wth-estimation-patch) for the reference.

IIUC, in this reference
   http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/stats/html/quantile.html
what you called "EstimationTechnique" is referred to as "Type".

Then the R manual uses a numbering: 1 to 9.

Was Commons Math's implementation none of those nine types?
I wouldn't name the CM's implementation DEFAULT (and the R's manual
refers to a paper that recommends "type 8").

If it's OK to keep a tight link to the R's description of the variants,
I'd suggest

public enum Type {
   CM,  // instead of DEFAULT
   R_1,
   R_2,
   R_3,
   R_4,
   R_5,
   R_6,
   R_7,
   R_8,
   R_9,
   // TYPE_TEN ?
}

R_9 is not implemented in the patch. Is it intended?
Then on the Wikipedia page there is an unnamed 10th variant, also
not implemented.

People knowledgeable in what should be expected from such a
functionality are most welcome to provide feedback...

Regards,
Gilles