commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriel Reid <gabriel.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [csv] release 1.0?
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2014 06:58:42 GMT
On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org> wrote:

> Alpha, beta, or GA makes no difference if it's made public through maven
> central. As soon as something is available there, people will start to use
> it. This will lead to jar hell, when we decide/have to break BC between
> alpha/beta and GA.
>
> That said I'd just release trunk as 1.0, since nobody among us seems to
> have the ability/time to fix the last outstanding issue.

+1 to releasing trunk.

We had a similar discussion about this a couple of months ago. The
fact is that people are using commons-csv now, either by making their
own build or by pulling the commons-csv codebase directly into their
own codebase, and this will lead to the same jar hell issues when a
"real" first release comes out. I think that delaying the release
further, particularly for a couple of tickets that have been open for
over two years, will only make this problem worse.

- Gabriel