commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Logo contest for Commons?
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2014 03:37:39 GMT
On 8/1/14 11:22 PM, Duncan Jones wrote:
> On 19 July 2014 05:04, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/18/14, 1:55 AM, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> the Apache Commons project currently does not have it's own logo! We are
>>> simply reusing the Apache logo with the feather. I even remember a guy from
>>> legal say, that they don't like it very much when projects reuse the Apache
>>> feather for their logo.
>> Huh?  Httpd just has a feather and their name.  Our current logo is
>> the feather *plus* the name with the little tm thingy.  Seems
>> perfectly legit to me as a logo.
>>
>> That said, this is a do-ocracy, so anyone who wants to propose
>> something different, more power to them.
>>
>> Phil
> I wanted to use the logo last year [1] in an advert on Stack Overflow
> to drive more developers towards Commons projects (see [2] for the
> 2014 H2 competition). Because of the usage of the Apache Feather,
> there was debate over whether the Commons logo could be used without
> further permission.

Sorry I missed that thread, but the conclusion is IMO nonsense.  Any
usage of the Apache Commons brand is de facto a usage of the Apache
brand.  Whether we have a cute animal or other beautiful graphic in
our "logo" we are implicitly using the Apache brand any time we make
any public statement or communication associated with the project.
That is why we are, um, "encouraged" to always say "Apache Commons
Foo" instead of just "Commons Foo."   There is to my knowledge no
policy forbidding the use of the feather in project logos.  Such a
policy would be ridiculous as it would disqualify, for example, the
httpd logo and it would violate the industry standard brand
management strategy to *encourage* sub-brands or products to
incorporate symbols associated with the parent brand in their
communications.

So if someone wants to scratch the itch to create a different logo,
I have no problem with that.  But eliminating the feather in the
logo so we can "use it freely" is not the right reason to do it.

I am copying Shane, VP Brand Management, who can either hit me with
a clue bat on this or confirm that there is no compelling reason
that we need to drop the feather from our logo.

Phil