commons-dev mailing list archives

From Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JCS] Rework logging
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2014 14:41:21 GMT
trying to make it complete:

Solutions are:
1) [logging] - think it is deprecated too
2) log4j2: not integrated at all with anything so a bit early but we
*need* to be compatible
3) slf4j: broken in hierarchical classloaders
4) JUL: not that friendly but prod ready in tomcat/tomee
5) custom logging solution: not a standard but exists in containers/frameworks
6) JCS logger facade

I'd love to go with log4j2 by default byt I'm sure it will break in a
lot of environment.
Regarding TomEE use case (this issue popped up from tomee initially):
log4j2 is not yet fully supported cause PropertyConfigurator is now a
noop implementation and some shutdown messages were lost last time I
re-tried (I pan to dig into it next month more or less)

Personally I'd go with JUL since it is library free and can be easily
extended to support slf4j/log4j - see
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomee/tomee/trunk/container/openejb-core/src/main/java/org/apache/openejb/log/logger/
-  etc (done in cxf, OWB, OpenEJB....) but having a light JCS facade
(mainly a factory) would work too.

PS for who didnt read the associated jira: I don't want this task to
prevent a 2.0 release. If you see it as a blocker we can do a
2.0-alpha but we really need to make this code released IMHO, I really
want to avoid some tunnel effect.

Romain Manni-Bucau
Twitter: @rmannibucau
Blog: http://rmannibucau.wordpress.com/