commons-dev mailing list archives

From Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JCS] Rework logging
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2014 19:37:29 GMT
> On 20 Aug 2014, at 15:47, sebb wrote:

>>> I'd like to think that Commons Logging has been deprecated by Log4j 2 can
>>

>> That is not an opinion that is universally shared.
>

> yes, I can name a few people from this list who actually know
> commons-logging exists.
>

>>> do the same thing (in principle) AND provide it's own advanced logging
>>> framework.
>>

>> s/it's/its/

>> That may be so, but I don't think that is sufficient reason to choose
>> Log4j2 over any other library.
>

> its an advanced logging framework, build by ASF people, with modern API,
> insane speed and maintained by around 7 competent ASF committers?
> Its/It's/It is compatible with slf4j, log4j1, and even jcl, so please
> explain to me what are the reasons to NOT choose Log4j 2.0 but anything
> else?

Not adding a dependency for one line answer.

For longer one: take tomee example: we have [logging], slf4j cause of
dependencies but as soon as we'll be able we'll drop them *by
default*. We use JUL by default since tomcat integration is not that
bad and cause it is built in in the JDK. If you add logging
dependencies in the container then you need fine integration to let
the application override it/use custom configuration. That's why less
dependency we take better it is.

I never said log4j2 was bad - actually once 2-3 bugs are fixed I think
it is really good - but that's really a matter of integration and
environment.

JCS will not only be used as app lib but also as container component
which changes a little bit the constraints.