commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [logging] Commons Logging 2.0?
Date Sun, 14 Dec 2014 19:38:34 GMT
Am 01.12.2014 um 14:31 schrieb Gary Gregory:
> FWIW, I think a new version of CL would be 'fun' if it included support for
> Log4j 2...

I did an experiment in Tomcat land, because I didn't like the way Log4J
version 2 supported commons-logging. Originally if you want to plug
log4j version 2 into commons-logging, you need to add the log4j jar
files to the same class loader that loaded commons-logging. For log4j
Version 1 that is not true. Its integration in commons-logging can find
log4j even if the class using commons-logging is loaded by a class
loader lower down and log4j can be found by that classloader.

Furthermore if you use the log4j version 2 integration, it replaces the
factory that searches for log implementations and hard codes log4j
version 2 only.

So I used the existing log4j version 2 classes and slightly adjusted
them for inclusion into commons logging. The result can be found at

http://people.apache.org/~rjung/patches/cl-log4j2.patch

That would be one way of supporting log4j version 2 in commons logging
in a way that's completely analogous to the log4j version 1 support.

Regards,

Rainer