commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Kiefer <kiefer.thors...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [Math] Would like to know, if extensions are needed
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:13:00 GMT
Hello,

Am 03.12.2014 um 12:53 schrieb Gilles:
> Hello.
>
> On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 10:13:08 +0100, Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
>> Hi,
>> the port is now finished.
>> The code may still contain bugs.
>> Maybe alpha-state.
>> But if you like it, you can add it.
>
> Thank you for offering code to enhance the scope of Commons Math.
> Yet I must emphasize that one of the goals of the project is to
> provide an "integrated" set of functionalities (a.o. consistent
> style and API throughout the codebase, full documentation and test
> coverage).
> Another on-going task is to include contributors who will stay and
> maintain the codebase.
> We do not usually have the resources neither to integrate a new
> functionality, nor to maintain it afterwards.
>
> You are very welcome to explain the purpose and state of your
> contribution; then we can start a discussion on how to move toward
> including the code in Commons Math.

The purpose of my project is a learning algorithm, which uses
function approximation and reinforcement learning.
With reinforcement learning a so-called agent can learn
optimal behaviour from only receiving rewards
for actions done in perceived states.

At the moment I am having problems to stabilize the algorithms.
The topology of the approximation functions and the initial
values for the parameters are essential for success.

At the moment only the fourier basis is practical as
approximation function.

Naively one would create a lookup table of scores for state-action pairs.
As the impractical huge size of these lookup tables is the problem,
the lookup table is being interpolated by an approximation function.

The lookup table and respectively the approximation function
map state-action pairs to scorings.

The RL algorithm adujsts the scorings during simulation.
And then it can decide, which action to take, by aiming for the highest
score.

But still all unstable.

Regards
Thorsten Kiefer