commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rony G. Flatscher (Apache)" <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Commons Configuration & Bean Scripting Framework (BSF) - dependencies on JDK-Internal APIs
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2015 12:19:15 GMT

On 15.06.2015 10:04, Rory O'Donnell wrote:

> Hi Benedict,
>
> I'm contacting you in relation to Apache Commons Configuration & Bean Scripting Framework
(BSF),
> both projects seems to be  very popular dependencies for other open source projects.
>
> As part of the preparations for JDK 9, Oracle’s engineers have been analyzing open
source projects
> like yours to understand usage. One area of concern involves identifying compatibility
problems,
> such as reliance on JDK-internal APIs.
>
> Our engineers have already prepared guidance on migrating some of the more common usage
patterns
> of JDK-internal APIs to supported public interfaces.  The list is on the OpenJDK wiki
[0].

> As part of the ongoing development of JDK 9, I would like to inquire about your usage
of
> JDK-internal APIs and to encourage migration towards supported Java APIs if necessary.
>
> The first step is to identify if your application(s) is leveraging internal APIs.
>
> /Step 1: Download JDeps. /
>
>    Just download a preview release of JDK8(JDeps Download
>    <https://jdk8.java.net/download.html>). You do not need to actually
>    test or run your application on JDK8. JDeps(Docs
>    <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/unix/jdeps.html>)
>    looks through JAR files and identifies which JAR files use internal
>    APIs and then lists those APIs.
>
> /Step 2: To run JDeps against an application/. The command looks like:
>
>    jdk8/bin/jdeps -P -jdkinternals *.jar > your-application.jdeps.txt
>
>    The output inside your-application.jdeps.txt will look like:
>
>    your.package (Filename.jar)
>           -> com.sun.corba.se            JDK internal API (rt.jar)
>
> _3rd party library using Internal APIs:_
> If your analysis uncovers a third-party component that you rely on, you can contact the
provider
> and let them know of the upcoming changes. You can then either work with the provider
to get an
> updated library that won't rely on Internal APIs, or you can find an alternative provider
for the
> capabilities that the offending library provides.
>
> _Dynamic use of Internal APIs:_
> JDeps can not detect dynamic use of internal APIs, for example through reflection, service
loaders
> and similar mechanisms.
>
> Rgds,Rory
>
> [0] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/JDK8/Java+Dependency+Analysis+Tool

Maybe a few remarks: there are two different packages, one BSF 2.x and one BSF 3.x. BSF 2.x
is an
opensource scripting framework for Java, BSF 3.x is an Apache implementation of JSR-223
(javax.script, which was influenced by BSF 2.x). The Java baseline is 1.4, if I am not mistaken,
such that pre Java 1.6 (when javax.script appeared for the first time) installations could
use
either framework. BSF 3.x uses the package name "javax.script" such that starting with Java
1.6, due
to the class loading rules, the Java supplied "javax.script" will be found and used, even
if BSF 3
is installed.

Having said that, I would plan to analyze at least BSF 2.x (and also apply a few, "last" updates,
including supplying a "javax.script.BSF ScriptEngine" implementation to ease creating a javax.script
ScriptEngine for BSF 2.x script engines, as there may be som BSF 2.x scripting languages that
could
be then deployed via the javax.script framework) with jdeps. In case it is using "JDK-internal
APIs"
it will be interesting to learn whether (and how) one could use different APIs that are available
in
the 1.4 world (unless we lift that baseline to Java 7 or 8).

---rony