commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [math] Name of the new TLP
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2016 14:49:58 GMT
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 06:49:02 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> On 2/1/16 6:24 AM, Gilles wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 06:20:14 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>> Unscientifically, but in the interest of keeping things moving, it
>>> looks to me like just plain "math" is the winner.  Any objections
>>> moving forward with this name?
>>>
>>> Phil
>>
>> Proposals were not all presented when people gave opinions.
>> A [VOTE] perhaps?
>
> Yes, we could do a poll and if you or others feel that is necessary,
> I will kick it off.  It just looked to me like we were close enough
> to consensus on math as the name to make it binary.

Not if you please take into account my remark below.

> Do you have
> objections to that name?

Yes.

"Math" is (a bit?) overwhelming for a team of 5- people.

In "Commons" there was the rationale of accepting only "common"
algorithms (although that was fairly fuzzy as a limitation).
Not so with that overly general name.
It's a library that will contain math, yes; all of math, certainly
not.
So the name is just a name; it should point to project, not to a
general concept.

Gilles