commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject [Math] Technical objection (Was: [math] [POLL] new TLP name)
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2016 11:43:51 GMT
On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 10:06:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> Please select your top choice among the following suggested names
> for the new [math]-based TLP.  All are welcome and encouraged to
> respond.  This POLL will be open for 72 hours, at which time two
> tallies will be presented:  one among those who have volunteered for
> the new PMC and a second among all respondents.  Hopefully, one name
> will emerge as consensus winner.  If not, I will kick off another
> runoff poll among the top choices.   Please respond with your top
> choice for the name.
>
> AjaMa
> Epsilon
> Erdos
> Euclid
> Euler
> Gauss
> JAML

This choice:

> Math

can potentially lead to legal and/or technical problems:
  * name of the JAR will basically be "math.jar", easily clashing
    with local toolboxes (also named without much imagination)
  * name of the project will obviously be impossible to protect

> MathBlocks
> MathComponents (or Math Components)
> Mathelactica
> MathModules
> Megginson
> modMath
> Nash
> Newton
> Pythagoras

The second objection of course holds for many names in the list.
We'd better follow Bertrand's suggestion.

Gilles