commons-dev mailing list archives

From Семенов Кирилл <semenovkirill....@gmail.com>
Subject [math] minimum compatible version of javac for Commons Math
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2016 22:30:59 GMT
Hello, everyone!

I'm new to Commons Math dev community.
Getting used to the project, deeping into the code, looking at Jira tasks
for now. And I'm wondering: what is the minimum version of javac, that code
must be compatible with?

There is a
https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/project-summary.html ,
mentioning:
ArtifactId commons-math3 Version 3.6 Type jar Java Version 1.5

and https://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-math/index.html , saying that

   1. Limited dependencies. No external dependencies beyond Commons
   components and the core Java platform (at least Java 1.3 up to version 1.2
   of the library, at least Java 5 starting with version 2.0 of the library).

And as for pom.xml in git repo, it is

<maven.compiler.source>1.7</maven.compiler.source>
<maven.compiler.target>1.7</maven.compiler.target>

and

<!-- TODO: when releasing 4.0, the properties below need to be updated, and
         the 3.x release artifacts need to be put int commons.release.3  -->
And I don't find anything about java version of commons-math4 (mainly,
because it is not released yet).  IMHO, these Function<X,Y> syntax and
functional interfaces are just made for math. Also, on one hand, Oracle
already dropped jdk7 support. On the other, some people may be eager to use
all the new features of 4th version, but have to stay on some 1.6-1.7 jdk
(not more then a guess).

Anyway, these are just my thoughts and, maybe, there is already a final
verdict of community on minimum java/javac compatibility for commons-math4.

If there is some agreement among developers, document or release notes, I'd
be happy to get that info/have a look.

--
Regards,
Kirill