commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [math] Name of the new TLP
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2016 11:19:21 GMT
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 01:49:21 -0500, Christopher wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 06:20:14 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>>>
>>> Unscientifically, but in the interest of keeping things moving, it
>>> looks to me like just plain "math" is the winner.  Any objections
>>> moving forward with this name?
>>>
>>> Phil
>>

>> Proposals were not all presented when people gave opinions.
>> A [VOTE] perhaps?
>>
>> Actually: Who should vote, or not?
>> [Logic would have it that people they do not intend to join
>> development of the new project should not...]
>
> Users have a huge stake in the name. They will be the ones trying to
> remember the project name when adding it as a dependency, after all.

Hmm, do you have many examples of a project that was not named by its
inceptors?

Remember?  Remember what?
Users would just have to find the project once in its lifetime, and
copy that into their dependency file.

 From a user's perspective, just "Math" is the worst possible choice: if
you use a search engine to get to one of the project's pages, you'll
get
many more hits related to "math" in general than to the Java project of
that name.

Moreover, from the majority of Apache projects' names, it is impossible
to tell what what they are about.
Which is right (most of the time) since the name is usually some sort
of acronym.

Even when the emblematic web server needed a name, they did not end up
with "WebServer"!

Gilles