commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [math] Name of the new TLP
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2016 22:50:36 GMT
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 14:17:06 -0800, Gary Gregory wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Niall Pemberton
> <niall.pemberton@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > We need to agree on a name.  My own preference is for a boring,
>> > descriptive name, but I am manifestly not a marketing guy, so
>> won't
>> > be offended if others want to be more creative.
>> >
>> > My suggestion is
>> >
>> > MathComponents
>> >
>> > Hearkens back to HttpComponents, which has worked pretty well.
>> >

>> I've just started learning modern Greek and Math is Μαθηματικά -
>>  (Mathematika) - so how about "Apache Mathematika"?
>>

> And get a nasty letter from https://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/
> perhaps?
>
> Gary

Are you implying that they would dare challenge our usage of a name
that is absolutely not entertaining any confusion?
As anyone can observe,
1. there is a prefix referring to a native American tribe (which thus
    has nothing to do with programming computers), and
2. the (common) word referring to "mathematics" is clearly spelled
    differently.

Thus, _nothing_ to worry about.
8-}

Gilles