commons-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Commons-VFS2 2.1 rc0
Date Tue, 03 May 2016 17:08:45 GMT
sebb wrote:
>> >  Sebb -- would addressing these points in the release notes cause you to
>> >  change your -1 to a +1? I'd like to make all the changes I can ASAP and roll
>> >  the next RC. Because I haven't said it explicitly -- thanks for taking the
>> >  time to give all of the feedback that you have already.
>
> I think we should drop sandbox from trunk entirely; that will resolve
> the issues.

I agree with you completely.

> Ideally the duplicate archives should be dropped, but that is not a
> blocker, just a nuisance when reviewing.

Yeah, I'll try to figure out what's going on with that when I roll rc1.
I'm not sure since it's not pulling directly from the apache.pom (I'm
not sure what all the commons parent pom is doing yet).

> I'm not yet convinced about the Clirr errors.
> I tried running the previous tests jar against the current code.
> There were some errors, but these may be due to code fixes. I've not
> had time to investigate fully.
> But in any case, the description in changes.xml needs to explain why
> the Clirr errors are not a concern.

IIRC, the errors that I saw were about new methods or fields which
should be fine for binary compatibility (sans the aforementioned Tar*
classes). Given what you said earlier and my personal understanding,
this should not affect binary compat.

I have it on my list to update the necessary docs with the "why" before rc1.

LMK if/when you decide for certain about the API additions and whether
or not they're OK. Thanks.