commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [crypto] On Java 6, really?
Date Tue, 07 Jun 2016 17:26:50 GMT
On 7 June 2016 at 18:11, Benedikt Ritter <britter@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello Sebb,
>
> sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> schrieb am Di., 7. Juni 2016 um 18:09 Uhr:
>
>> Does the project *need* to use any Java7 features?
>>
>> Is it working OK now with Java 6 as the minimum?
>>
>> If the answers are No and Yes then moving to Java 7 seems to me to be
>> unnecessary for the initial release.

                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> I think people have expressed in various ways that they don't want to work
> on projects which are stuck on dead Java version. I think we have to
> respect this.

I think you have misunderstood my point.

I'm not saying that the code needs to stay on Java 6 for future releases.

However, assuming that it is working OK on Java 6, it seems silly to
insist that the developers update it to use Java 7 *now*.

Especially since the code appears to be about ready for a release.

Changing to Java 7 now would require additional work which would delay
the release.

But by all means move to Java 7 for the next release if the developers
who are actually working on it agree that it is necessary.