commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [RNG] Checkstyle
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:40:54 GMT
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 09:43:41 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've enabled checkstyle Jenkins plugin and executed checkstyle plugin
> on
> the current code base and it resulted in a lot of high priority
> warning see
> here:
>
> https://builds.apache.org/view/Apache%20Commons/job/Commons_Rng/14/checkstyleResult/HIGH/

I had noticed that.
I don't know whether Jenkins applying its own checkstyle configuration
is a bug or feature.

> Now, I'm wondering whenever it gets a wrong checkstyle.xml file or
> there
> are indeed that many warnings or checkstyle.xml has to be adjusted?

Most of the warnings are either false positives (e.g. "not designed
for inheritance") or spurious (e.g. line length).
Also, insisting on "final" for method arguments is (IMHO) borderline
ridiculous for Java code since it is impossible to ensure
"constantness"
of the instance.
There several instances of "argument hides a field" but this is common
style in constructors.

Some are quite real: there are indeed too many "magic numbers" but this
is bound to be the case in a code that does a lot of bits manipulation.
I already defined many of them as class fields, but if there is only
one such use in a class, it sometimes becomes less clear than keeping
the magic number where it belongs.

I corrected some of the Javadoc ones concerning comments not ending
with
a punctuation. [I find that rule interesting but never could convince
other developers that comments should follow correct English syntax.]

I think that, for readability, space around operators should be indeed
be mandatory. [I've just fixed a few of those.]

Some rules applied in Jenkins contradict rules enforced locally (copied
from Commons Math), e.g. "OperatorWrapCheck".

Regards,
Gilles