commons-dev mailing list archives

From Eyal Allweil <eyal_allw...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject [LANG] Add alphabet conversion API
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2016 08:53:30 GMT
Hi guys,
Would you be interested in adding a utility class that creates alphabet converters, perhaps
using a helper method available from StringUtils? It doesn't have to stay the way it is now,
but the API for the class - AlphabetConverter - is currently:
/** * The input is integers representing code points, but we can make it accept chars as
well * * doNotEncode represents chars we want to leave in the original state (not to encode
them using the chars in encoding) */
public AlphabetConverter(Set<Integer> original, Set<Integer> encoding, Set<Integer>
doNotEncode);
public String encode (String original);

public String decode (String encoded);
In StringUtils, we could add

public AlphabetConverter getAlphabetConverter (Set<Integer> original, Set<Integer>
encoding, Set<Integer> doNotEncode);
I used it to convert from unicode to latin letters, without using any chars I wanted as delimiters,
and preserving the English alphabet as is for readability. If you'd like to add it, I'll clean
up the code and prepare it for a pull request so you can review it.

It makes sense to me to add a method that returns the HashMaps used internally for the mappings
so they can be serialized (and deserialized) for preserving the mapping.
Regards,Eyal Allweil (PayPal)