commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [rng] Usefulness of benchmarks
Date Sun, 04 Sep 2016 12:01:14 GMT
On Sun, 4 Sep 2016 14:22:04 +0300, Artem Barger wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 2:06 PM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> A few quick runs seems to produce numbers that are now much
>> closer to what JMH produces.[1]
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

> ​How I can produce results with PerfTestUtils? Is there any script to
> run
> RandomStressTester?

"RandomStressTester" is in Commons _Rng_ "src/userguide" example
code, while I've just committed "RandomNumberGeneratorBenchmark"
in Commons _Math_ userguide examples (branch "develop").

There is a README in "src/userguide"; basically, you'd run with a
command similar to:

   $ mvn -q exec:java \

-Dexec.mainClass=org.apache.commons.math4.userguide.rng.RandomNumberGeneratorBenchmark
\
    -Dexec.args="MT ISAAC JDK"

where the "exec.args" contains a list of "RandomSource" identifiers.

> It possible that previous results were produced on loaded computer,
> hence
> the bias.​

Unlikely to be the reason because:
  1. the computer was not overloaded,
  2. the same load would be seen by all benchmarked codes (that is
     precisely the purpose of "PerfTestUtils").

Anyways, this is all becoming rather moot since the previous
figures are not reproducible...

Best regards,
Gilles