commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brent Worden <brent.wor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RNG] Scope of "Commons RNG"
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2016 02:22:35 GMT
> First candidates are:
>>> * Non-uniform deviates (i.e. the samplers now defined in
>>>   Commons Math's "o.a.c.math4.distribution" package),
>>>

>> I agree this doesn't belong to commons-rng, but I'm not convinced it
>> would fit a commons-rng-tools component. Maybe a component more targeted
>> toward statistic algorithms?
>>

> Sampling and statistics do not necessarily belong together.
> [This was a discussion in CM.]

+1

Having used commons-math to generate random deviates, the commons-math
approach of coupling random deviate generation to the distributions
themselves proved to be a bad development experience as well as not the
most performant in the form of object instantiations.  Specialized
random variate generators would be a lot better design IMO.