commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@bpm-inspire.com>
Subject Re: AW: Java8 utilities
Date Wed, 21 Sep 2016 14:51:29 GMT
Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:

>> We could also have Lamda utility classes in [lang], the classes would
>> target Java 8 while the other classes would remain at the Java 6 level
>> (this implies compiling the classes separately and recombining them in
>> the final jar).
>
> From a users point of view I would search in commons-lang for language
> "extensions". But this kind of building would be ... complex.

No, it's a quite simple configuration with Maven. However, you have to be
prepared for users running into problems using the resulting jar file:

1/ in Android, because the Dalvik compiler is not able to convert the
classes targeting Java 8

2/ in Web/App Servers running with Java 7 or below that scan the libraries
in the classpath for annotations

Cheers,
Jörg