commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Changes on the 3.x line
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:56:35 GMT
On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 11:26:23 -0400, Rob Tompkins wrote:
>> On Oct 12, 2016, at 10:57 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Le 12/10/2016 à 16:15, Gilles a écrit :
>>>
>>> The 3.x line is obsolete.
>>> No new feature or bug-fix should be introduced there.
>>
>> Hi Gilles,
>>
>> I understand you don't want to invest time in maintaining the 3.x
>> line
>> and I respect that, but others might be interested. I don't think
>> pushing minor bug fixes to CM 3 will undermine CM 4.
>
> Being fairly new here, I'm not familiar with how end-of-life'ing a
> major version of a component works, but I would think that we would
> want to have the next major version out and working before closing
> the
> door on the 3.X work.

Because of the lack of resources, the consensus, for the last 10 years,
has been that only one version was supported (the last one).

Each time work was started on a new major version, only bug-fix
releases were done on the supposedly "soon-to-be-deprecated" code.

[Of course, this all broke down when people stopped working on CM4
without public discussions about a new consensus.]

Gilles