commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [lang] Thread safety annotations
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2016 13:37:33 GMT
On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 14:12:48 +0100, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 12:08 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No, I'm suggesting that the annotations become an independent
>> Commons component.
>> If we don't want these used outside Commons (probably a good idea)
>> then we can make this clear through Javadoc and package naming etc.
>>
>> The alternative is to add them to every component as and when they
>> want to use them.
>> And again, we should probably try to prevent them being used
>> externally.
>>
>> My position is that only adding them to LANG is not the best
>> solution.
>
> Okay, but do we really need yet another component? I'd suggest, that
> separate jar file (for example commons-lang-annotations) would be
> sufficient, and fulfills your goals.

Anyone noticing that this is the situation which the post
  "Version number(s) for modular components"
addresses?

It makes sense to develop this feature within the [lang] project,
in module "commons-lang-annotations" as suggested above.

It does not make sense to release a new version of an unchanged
"commons-lang-annotations" JAR, every time there is a release of
"Commons Lang".

Gilles