commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Math] Re: LU decomposition very SLOW (commons.math3.linear)
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 11:47:15 GMT
On Fri, 4 Nov 2016 03:16:29 -0700 (PDT), wilbur wrote:
> Makes all sense. I will prepare a "minimally invasive" patch that
> exactly
> mimics the original behavior.
>
> In a possible future version, I think interfaces should be used from
> the
> beginning, even if there is only a small chance that different
> implementations arise. It is hard/impossible to resolve this later.

In CM, wherever there could have been interfaces, but there
aren't, was a conscious decision: it allowed to evolve the API
without breaking compatibility (e.g. adding methods).

This has come handy, since strangely enough, in CM the quality
of the design was somehow not considered on a par with the quality
of the implementations... [IOW, refactoring was frowned upon by
some even when it was the only reasonable solution to an issue!]

That's why, personally, I'd welcome attempts to improve on that
level, but I think that it should be done in new packages so that
it's possible to compare the respective merits of alternative
approaches.

Regards,
Gilles