commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] Why is the component's web site part of the release vote?
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2016 18:26:01 GMT

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 9:18 AM, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2016 06:56:06 -0700, Apache wrote:
>> Typically the site is voted on during the release when it is built by
>> Maven. This is because it will put the version on the site and if it
>> isn’t the release it will have SNAPSHOT in the version, which means
>> you are documenting stuff publicly that isn’t really available yet.
>
> This has been the case for months (for RNG); i.e. the live site
> documented 1.0-SNAPSHOT.
> Then if and when people vote to release 1.0, I'll fix the site
> and the live version will document 1.1-SNAPSHOT...
>
>> There are ways around this though.
>
> The question was indeed if we want to have archived sites
> (i.e. a "read-only" site tied to a specific version)?
>
>> Note that this has absolutely
>> nothing to do with ASF policy.
>
> Which is?

A release at Apache is a release of source code. The binaries are a convenience to the user
as is the site. If the source for the web site is part of your source code then technically
you are reviewing it as part of the release, just as you might validate that the binaries
actually work. But you could document the site completely in the Apache CMS and never “release”
it - just publish it.  The content of the web site does have to be licensed under the Apache
license though.

Ralph