commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [Numbers] Scope?
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2017 09:04:38 GMT
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 19:28:31 -0500, Raymond DeCampo wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Gilles
> <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>

>> A very important issue here: what JDK version do we target?
>>
>> I'd go for Java8, in the hope to revive interest in Commons from an
>> audience that might be put off by the "no fun" of older and soon
>> unsupported JVM.
>

> I am inclined to go with Java 8.  Oracle has stopped public updates
> for
> Java 7, so perhaps "soon unsupported" is an understatement.

I'm trying to put it in a mild way, given the history of discussions
on such issues. The "End of Service Life" of Java 5 was 2009, yet
"Commons Math" was still targetting it 7 years later (including the
last 2 major versions)!

> There are methods in java.lang.Math introduced in Java 8 (with the
> naming
> pattern *Exact) which could simplify/eliminate some of the methods in
> ArithmeticUtils.

Then we should move the functions that have an "xxxExact" counterparts
to "FastMath" (as per the Javadoc of that class, claiming that is a
drop-in replacement of "java.lang.Math").

Would you be willing to file a JIRA issue for that task, and take it
on?
Then a sub-task might be to check whether, as of Java 8, "FastMath"
is still faster or more accurate for some functions.

Regards,
Gilles