commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DAEMON] Feedback on my improvements and new features
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2017 05:24:15 GMT
Hi All:

This components needs some attention indeed and I am glad it has some
traction out there. I use it at work and for customers and I've not run
into serious issues but I know there are some bug fix requests pending.

For me, I would be more concerned with addressing the bug backlog than new
features.

Perhaps a way forward would be to address existing issues in a new release
(a 1.0.16 or 1.1) and then move on to a 2.0.

I know that building this component has been an issue in the past since
there are tooling requirements not every committer here has access to. So
it might be challenging for committers members to validate patches and
issue releases. It should be noted that any Apache Committer has commit
access to Commons.

Aside from all of that it is great that this is getting attention.

Patches for bugs is a great way to start but we (the community) need to be
responsive and validate the patches and commit them with confidence. I am
not sure how the C code is even tested if at all.

Is there any committers here that can take the time to review patches and
do builds?

Gary

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 9:44 AM, Guillaume Ch <gchauvet@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your quick response,
>

> > The foundation doesn't have a vision for Daemon. The direction of the
> > project is set from the ground up by the community using and developing
> the
> > software rather than from the top down. Project direction is agreed by
> > consensus.
> > You are proposing a number of potentially significant changes. Some of
> > those changes would introduce backwards incompatibilities and require a
> new
> > major release. Others may require a new minor release.
>

> Ok, In my mind all proposal changes targets a 2.0 version to prevent any
> backwards incompatibilities with the current 1.0 version.
> In summary, I should create ticket per proposals in the Daemon JIRA  and
> try to affect them to appropriate version, correct ?
>
> Start a discussion (one at a time) on the proposed new features. Some will
> > be accepted as is, some will be accepted with modifications and some the
> > community will reject.
> >

> Did the discussion about a new feature/change will be done on the
> mailinglist or on the associated JIRA ticket ?
>
> Regards,

JUnit in Action, Second Edition

Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com