commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DAEMON] Feedback on my improvements and new features
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2017 10:46:45 GMT
On 11/02/17 08:37, Guillaume Ch wrote:

> I would like
> to know if my contribution is compatible with the vision of the Apache
> foundation, and how it could be integrated in the future into the current
> Daemon project ?

The foundation doesn't have a vision for Daemon. The direction of the
project is set from the ground up by the community using and developing
the software rather than from the top down. Project direction is agreed
by consensus.

You are proposing a number of potentially significant changes. Some of
those changes would introduce backwards incompatibilities and require a
new major release. Others may require a new minor release.

Generally, proposing a large number of significant changes as a single
package is unlikely to gain consensus.

I would suggest the following:
- separate your proposed changes into
   - bug fixes
   - new features
   - backwards incompatible changes
- create a Jira for each one using the appropriate type
- set the fix version appropriately
   - bug fix 1.0.next
   - new feature 1.1
   - backwards incompatible changes 2.0

Provide some patches for those Jiras - I'd recommend starting with the
fixes.

Provide some patches for the existing issues (this demonstrates an
interest in working for the wider community rather than appearing to be
just pushing your own interests).

Start a discussion (one at a time) on the proposed new features. Some
will be accepted as is, some will be accepted with modifications and
some the community will reject.

Mark