commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [lang] Question with the StringEscapeUtils.(un)escapeEcmaScript
Date Sun, 12 Mar 2017 10:43:46 GMT
Hello,

> Am 11.03.2017 um 13:08 schrieb Yasser Zamani <yasser.zamani@live.com>:
>

> On 3/8/2017 12:21 PM, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>> Hello Yasser,
>>
>> Sorry for the late reply! I have been on vacation and needed some time to go through
all the mails that have piled up :-)
> Hello Benedikt , thank you very much for your answer
>>
>> StringEscapeUtils contains general String escaping routines. It does not focus on
business related escaping (how would you draw that line anyway?). escapeEcmaScript just escapes
the characters in a String using EcmaScript String rules.
>> Can you please provide a failing test case showing the problem you see?
>>
> Yes, you're right. I mis-used the method. it is for escaping an ecma
> string that can be used inside an another ecma string but I wrongly used
> that  for escape from script injection!
>> So „<" and „>“ are not escaped by escapeEcmaScript..
> My failure :(
>>>
>>> And finally just for a curious, why `ESCAPE_ECMASCRIPT` does not include
>>> `OctalUnescaper` but `UNESCAPE_ECMASCRIPT = UNESCAPE_JAVA` does?
>>
>> Again it is because it just escapes according to EcmaScript escaping rules.
> It's some weird , you mean escaping ecma script does not need escaping
> octal, but un-escaping ecma script does need also un-escaping octal?
> i.e. inverse of escaping is not equal to unescaping and vice versa.

To be honest, I don’t know :o) I’ve added Rob to the thread, because he has done quite
some work in Commons Text and may know why this makes sense…

Regards,
Benedikt