commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@bpm-inspire.com>
Subject Re: ImmutablePair and compareTo()
Date Fri, 03 Mar 2017 15:58:38 GMT
Hi Matt,

Matt Sicker wrote:

> I took a look at this yesterday and forgot to reply. Anyways, I agree that
> ImmutablePair should override compareTo() since it can rely on its own
> values not changing, whereas the implementation in Pair isn't as crazy
> since it's mutable.

ImmutablePair is only immutable concerning the referenced objects, it cannot
make any assumptions about those objects' immutability.

StringBuilder builder = new StringBuilder();
ImmutablePair<String, StringBuilder> = new ImmutablePair<>("key", builder);
builder.append("a");

ImmutablePair just guarantees here that you will always have the same
StringBuilder instance.

Cheers,
Jörg