commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <brunodepau...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>
Subject Re: [beanutils] Merge pull request sent via GitHub, but src in SVN
Date Fri, 07 Apr 2017 04:07:16 GMT
Thanks Gary & sebb. Downloaded the patch from GitHub (TIL!), and applied with `patch apply
-p1 -i ~/3.patch`

I included the "Closes #3" text in the commit message, but looks like SVN repositories take
a bit longer to sync.  GitHub repo should be updated in some minutes/hours, and hopefully
the pull request will be marked as merged too.

Cheers
Bruno

________________________________
From: Gary Gregory <garydgregory@gmail.com>
To: Commons Developers List <dev@commons.apache.org>
Cc: Bruno P. Kinoshita <brunodepaulak@yahoo.com.br>
Sent: Friday, 7 April 2017 5:40 AM
Subject: Re: [beanutils] Merge pull request sent via GitHub, but src in SVN

I would use a diff file like https://patch-diff.githubusercontent.com/raw/apache/commons-beanutils/pull/3.diff

Whether you use a diff or patch file depends on your tooling.
I would add a comment "Closes #123" in your commit comment along with a comment that refers
to a JIRA ticket. That will close the PR.

I'm not sure what we should do in the long run about duplicating PRs and JIRAs.

Gary

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 6:30 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

On 6 April 2017 at 13:16, Bruno P. Kinoshita
><brunodepaulak@yahoo.com.br. invalid> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> We have a pending pull request for [beanutils] https://github.com/apache/ commons-beanutils/pull/3
>>
>> As the component is still using Subversion, I am not able to use my normal workflow
to merge the pull request (i.e. clone the ASF upstream, checkout GitHub remote branch, merge,
push).

>> What are the steps to merge a pull request sent via GitHub, for components using
Subversion? Should someone simply apply it manually (i.e. edit the code, or maybe generate
a patch from the git repository)?

>It's trivial to change a PR into a patch; just append '.patch':
>
>https://patch-diff. githubusercontent.com/raw/ apache/commons-beanutils/pull/ 3.patch
>
>This can then be applied to SVN as normal.
>
>> I believe the commit message must contain "This closes #123" as well, in order to
close the PR?

>I think so.
>

>> Thanks
>> Bruno