commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] The Commons Math issue
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2017 18:07:18 GMT
On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 18:06:02 +0200, Eric Barnhill wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 5:29 PM, Gilles
> <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 15:56:23 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>>
>>> On 04/12/2017 02:56 PM, Gilles wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes; and it is good per se, of course.  Unforunately, it didn't
>>> change
>>>>

>>> Ok, then let's move commons-math to dormant and redirect the users
>>> Hipparchus.
>>>

>> Emmanuel,
>>
>> Do you actually prefer advertizing a non-Apache project rather than
>> having the PMC support its own developers in any which way it could?
>>
>> I sure hope that I'm not the only one here who would not like it.
>

> Hipparchus is also not a commons-type project.

Which is of course to say that Commons Math is also not of this type!
And this was the root cause of all our management problems.

Management was considered a non-problem by all the other regular
developers of CM.  [How come then, that they ended up forking it?]

> They appear to have copied
> the boilerplate about small, lightweight, reusable components, but
> I'm not
> sure why -- that's just not what that library is at all.

Indeed.
In rounds of discussions I pointed out that this presentation of
Commons Math was outdated (thus, incorrect)...

> I suspect coders will not drop by Apache commons looking for stiff
> ODE
> solvers --

I agree; it's one of the functionalities which we cannot maintain
here.

> they will be looking for more basic and convenient functionality
> such as that provided by Numbers.

"Commons Numbers" can reasonably contain other functionalities yet
to be extracted from the CM "master" branch (cf. link to archived
post which I provided earlier in this thread).

> We should redirect the users to commons-numbers because that is what
> they
> probably want. But we could also mention that for a large and
> sophisticated
> mathematical library, they can check out Hipparchus.

We should not recommend it (and I question the term "sophisticated"
as a qualifier for the library as a whole, even though a lot of the
codes are individually very good).

Best regards,
Gilles