commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject [ALL] The Commons Math issue (Was: [DRAFT] Board report)
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2017 10:54:50 GMT
Hello.

Gary,

Thank you for mentioning the CM issue.
But...

> [...]
>
> ## Health report:
>  [...]
>  - We are still experiencing some growing pains toward Commons Math
> 4. There
>    is a backlog of issues in JIRA (not unlike other components) but
> no clear
>    concensus in the community. Do-ocracy is likely to prevail.

... This being an Apache community, is everyone at ease with using
"likely" in the above sentence?

>    There is a
>    proposal on how to move the code base forward and having Math
> depend on
>    Commons Numbers and Commons RNG, and then dropping the
> corresonding
>    Math code. All of which can be seen on the developer's mailing
> list.

Several board reports have mentioned the "growing pains" and lack of
of consensus.
At what point are they going to reflect that the problem must be dealt
with?

PMC members do not have time to contribute to all components, but is
it fine that this obvious fact prevents further development of some
components (including _parts_ of current CM) that could be maintained
with much less manpower?  [IMHO, the development of "Commons RNG"
somewhat proved that last point.]

Must do-ocracy prevail or not?  And, if not, why?  [Let the board
answer if the PMC members won't.]

My proposal concerning the future of the CM codebase has been on the
table for almost a year, without anyone else working on the alternative
that had been discussed (that is, keep working on CM "as-is"), as can
be viewed from the lack of communication with users (cf. JIRA issues).

Readers of the ML could infer that I tried to come closer to a
"compromise", by suggesting a release of CM 4.0 (thus mitigating my
disappointment that a large part of that code would still have no
support from any of the "Commons" active developers).
However, the compromise only makes sense if those on the other side
of argument will participate in its implementation.

Thanks for your attention,
Gilles