commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] The Commons Math issue
Date Fri, 14 Apr 2017 22:15:43 GMT
Hi Oliver.

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 21:48:26 +0200, Oliver Heger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 14.04.2017 um 17:12 schrieb Gilles:
>> Hi Benedikt.
>>
>> On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 12:49:25 +0200, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>>> My personal opinion is, that neither CM, nor numbers or RNG belong
>>> into commons. They are to specific and should form a TLP on their
>>> own.
>>
>> The only working definition I know of "Commons" is: a home for
>> projects too small to exist on their own.
>> I gathered that what is important is that there are people willing
>> to maintain the component.
>>
>>> But that’s only my opinion.
>>
>> I *really* do not understand how you form an opinion that
>> "RNG" and "Numbers" do not belong as rightfully as <any other>
>> component.
>
> The Commons charter mentions "reusable libraries and components". I
> used
> to interpret this as general-purpose components, meaning that they
> are
> useful for applications in multiple domains. This definition should
> hold
> for most of the components we have now.

But not for "RNG" or "Numbers"?

How many is "multiple"?

> It does not hold for specialized math components.

Do you believe that the other components are not "specialized"?

I never had the need for any of the "Commons" components except
CM, but it would not occur to me to speculate about how largely
useful they actually are.
I trust their creators/maintainers in that respect.

Now, you can validly argue that people needing the kind of
math-related stuff of CM would not use Java... ;-)

> Therefore, I
> personally feel uneasy with them and would have difficulties to
> provide
> oversight for them.

As long as someone else helps where you cannot, what's the
problem?
And when nobody can, there is "dormant"...

Gilles