commons-dev mailing list archives

From Benedikt Ritter <brit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PARENT][PROPOSAL] Add Automatic-Module-Name MANIFEST entry
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2017 08:34:44 GMT
Hi,

> Am 03.06.2017 um 18:54 schrieb Rob Tompkins <chtompki@gmail.com>:
>
> This should be done now with the entries being “commons.module.name”

I’d recommend using dashes in the second part of the name, since my understanding of points
is to declare name spaces. So I’d suggest to use commons.automatic-module-name and not commons.automatic.module.name.

Benedikt

> Cheers,
> -Rob
>
>> On May 24, 2017, at 11:31 AM, Rob Tompkins <chtompki@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On May 24, 2017, at 11:11 AM, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@joda.org>
wrote:

component pom’s properties section now, and then when the next parent migration happens,
the changes will express naturally. It might be worth adding a comment on the property in
each pom?

>>> As I said upthread, there is an argument to only add it to components
>>> once they have been checked to see if they are valid for use as a
>>> module.
>>
>> Right.
>>

>>> That said, I'm willing to go with it as an approach because AFAICT if
>>> a component isn't a good modular citizen, the Automatic-Module-Name
>>> MANIFEST entry won't do much harm.
>>
>> Yes.
>>

>>> Of course, strictly speaking we don't know if Automatic-Module-Name
>>> will be part of the final JDK 9, as private discussions are currently
>>> ongoing between the key players. Since it will cause no harm if
>>> wrongly present, I'm OK with this too,
>>>
>>> If you are going to do it, I'd suggest using ${commons.module-name},
>>
>> Makes sense to me there. I’m not the best at coming up with names. :-)
>>
>>> as you will be adding the official module name for the component. That
>>> it is only used as the automatic module name right now is a detail.
>>
>> I will start chipping away at this tomorrow or Friday, assuming that there aren’t
any objections between now and then.