commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Tompkins <chtom...@gmail.com>
Subject [all/travis-ci] Regarding potential Travis-CI solutions
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2017 21:32:31 GMT
Hello all,

We have an open pull request from Amey (https://github.com/apache/commons-text/pull/61 <https://github.com/apache/commons-text/pull/61>)
proposing a fairly complicated but quite nice travis-ci build solution (taken from the jacoco
project) that accommodates building on JDK7, JDK8, JDK8-ea, EclipseJava, JDK9-ea, as well
as IBMJava-8. To accommodate building on all of these different versions of Java, we do however
need to make the travis-ci build a good deal more complex.

As the two reviewers on the pull request, Pascal and myself, have mildly differing opinions
on the complexity-value trade off here, with Pascal’s opinion being: "…[T]his is overkill.
I don't think commons-text needs to be tested against the eclipse java compiler and early
access versions of java 8 and 9. The script looks difficult to debug and maintain.” And
my perspective is that this could be a test piece for using this elsewhere in commons.

To me, the argument for simplicity is always quite compelling, to the point that I’m mostly
willing to let go of using the jacoco travis-ci pattern. But I figured I would, before making
any decisions, see what the community thinks generally about this possible travis-ci build
script.

Cheers,
-Rob