commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [All][Math] New component: "Commons Geometry"?
Date Sun, 03 Dec 2017 02:07:32 GMT
Hi.

On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 20:40:38 +0000, Martijn Verburg wrote:
> Has the PMC and the active developers met over a video call to try
> and hash
> this out?

The ML archive is replete with discussions.
A few PMC members voiced their agreement with the Apache mantra.
A few oppose trying an approach that would break the status quo,
even as it has stalled development (the next major release is
nowhere in sight, almost 3 years after work started on it).

> It would be a shame to see this library fall into disuse.

The library can be used but is virtually unmaintained.

IMO, the question is why the loss of continuity is being preferred
over a proposal that costs only to those who are willing to put
work in it.
The asymmetry of the situation should be obvious...

> I'd also argue with Jigsaw being the heart of Java 9+ that more
> modular
> libs now make sense.

+1 to a separation of concerns that allows for clear and independent
lines of development.

Regards,
Gilles