commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Preventing assembly archives from being deployed to nexus.
Date Sun, 03 Dec 2017 12:42:15 GMT
On 3 December 2017 at 01:32, Rob Tompkins <chtompki@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 2, 2017, at 4:42 PM, Charles Honton <chas@honton.org> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve been down this path about a year ago.  We’re relying on the side effect
of these assemblies being artifacts for the GPG plugin to sign them.  There is an outstanding
JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MGPG-43 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MGPG-43>)
to support signing un-attached files.  Unfortunately, this was not sufficient.  The maven
deploy plugin generates the md5/sha1/asc files.  I suggested adding this functionality to
the GPG plugin.  The response (http://maven-dev.markmail.org/search/?q=MGPG-43#query:MGPG-43+page:1+mid:6huxvhef5rzmzmsh+state:results
<http://maven-dev.markmail.org/search/?q=MGPG-43#query:MGPG-43+page:1+mid:6huxvhef5rzmzmsh+state:results>)
was not positive.

> Ugh. This sounds like an unfortunate situation. Many thanks for those insights. You’ve
definitely saved me a week of figuring that out.

>> The step to take now is to create a new plugin and work with the maven core team
to accept a new plugin to support our use case.  Alternatively, we can change our release
process to something similar to what the Maven team does.  There is native support for their
process.

> I’ll try to read their documentation on their release process.

Another approach I tried a while back (*) is to keep the current deploy process.
I.e. deploy the ASF mirror artefacts to Nexus along with the rest.
This ensures that the non-Maven zips are created and signed under target

An additional stage then copies the ASF archives/sigs/hashes from
target/ to dist/dev/commons using svnmucc.

Optionally the Nexus directory can be tidied up to remove the
unnecessary archives/sigs/hashes
Ideally they would be excluded from the upload so this was not
necessary, but that could be part of a separate effort.

(*) http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/sandbox/commons-staging-plugin/trunk/

> -Rob
>

>> chas
>>
>>> On Dec 2, 2017, at 1:06 PM, Rob Tompkins <chtompki@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> In my work on the [build-plugin], I’ve come across the following mechanism
to prevent the [maven-assembly-plugin] from deploying the artifacts to nexus. If in the configuration
section of the plugin, you put “<attach>false</attach>” the archives that
the [maven-assembly-plugin] creates will not get pushed up to nexus. For example I have locally
in [text] the following:

>>> <plugin>
>>>      <artifactId>maven-assembly-plugin</artifactId>
>>>      <configuration>
>>>              <descriptors>
>>>              <descriptor>src/assembly/bin.xml</descriptor>
>>>                      <descriptor>src/assembly/src.xml</descriptor>
>>>              </descriptors>
>>>              <tarLongFileMode>gnu</tarLongFileMode>
>>>              <attach>false</attach>
>>>      </configuration>
>>> </plugin>
>>>
>>> and with that, using "-Ptest-deploy" profile, the archives aren’t pushed to
"./target/deploy”.

>>> As previously stated, my plan is to streamline the release process considerably
with java updates to the build plugin, but for the time being, this should be helpful.