commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <brunodepau...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>
Subject [imaging] IMAGING-154 remove Debug class
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2018 12:20:58 GMT
Hello,

If memory serves me well, some time ago we had a discussion around sanselan & commons-imaging
1.0. One of the issues with commons-imaging 1.0 was the Debug class.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IMAGING-154

I finished the pull request, but Gilles raised an important point, about discussing other
alternatives first.

Initially I am against logging in low level libraries, especially commons components. But
some time ago I had to debug TIFF issues in commons-imaging, and having the dump methods was
a tremendous help.

The issue is that some imaging algorithms/processing have a lot of variables that can be altered.
And keeping an eye on all of them in the debugger can be quite hard - though not impossible.

So all in all, now I am more confident to proceed without the Debug class. But some users
could have a hard time investigating possible issues in the library without seeing what's
going on within the library.

IMO, that could be solved with the logging/dump features... or through a better design, especially
around exception handling/throwing. The latter is my preferred approach. Instead of logging,
I prefer - whenever possible - that low level libraries throw exceptions and let me handle
the logging.

So, any thoughts? :) I'm +1 to remove the Debug class, and +0 to a logging added to commons-imaging.

Bruno