commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [ALL] please remember to tidy up old releases
Date Sat, 10 Feb 2018 14:20:44 GMT
On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 13:39:49 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 10 February 2018 at 12:57, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 11:52:24 +0000, sebb wrote:
>>>
>>> The 3rd party mirrors all offer their services for free.
>>>
>>> Although storage is cheap these days, it is not free, so we should
>>> not
>>> burden the mirrors with unnecessary files (*).
>>>
>>> So would RMs please remember to remove old releases once a new
>>> release
>>> has been announced.
>>>
>>> And when preparing for a new release, please check if the existing
>>> download page still carries any obsolete releases. [It is OK to
>>> link
>>> to older release on the archive server]
>>

>> What are the criteria for "old", "obsolete", "unnecessary"?
>
> http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#archival
>
> "Each project's distribution directory SHOULD contain the latest
> release in each branch that is currently under development.
> When development ceases on a version branch, releases of that branch
> SHOULD be removed."

Then it's a while that CM should have be removed since
development of the MATH_3_X branch ceased years ago.

>> In CM for example, we used to add links to the "apidocs" of
>> previous releases, even though the consensus was that they
>> were not supported.
>
> Huh?
> This is only about release artifacts on mirrors.
> apidocs are not published to the mirrors.

My remark was in reference to advertizing APIs of
multiple "obsolete" (and to be archived as per your
message) versions of CM.

>> If there is a well-defined requirement
>
> See above
>
>> can the actions be automated? [Check for obsolete files, send a
>> warning/reminder
>> to the ML, move them to the appropriate location.]
>
> Cleanup is relatively infrequent, so whether it is worth automating
> is
> debatable.
>
> The ASF reporter app already emails the RM whenever a new release is
> committed to dist/release.
>
> There should be no releases on the mirrors that are not linked from
> the download page, so
> it might be possible to extract the release versions from the
> download
> page, and compare that with the files under dist.

Unreachable files should be deleted; fine (no need for automation).

But is it OK to provide links to old releases (even if there
supposedly obsolete). [Might be useful for a user to identify
a regression of change of behaviour.]

Gilles