commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2018 11:43:26 GMT
Hi.

On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 21:09:56 -0400, Greg Driscoll wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm a computer science student that's really interested in doing a
> Google
> Summer of Code project working on the commons-numbers User Guide and
> benchmarks.  In Jira
> it'shttps://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NUMBERS-70.

Thanks for your interest, and welcome.

> The link to my proposal is here
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i6yy2cW0x9MYbDOuLPdZrV0XA0eKO5q5N0SNg99mJfA/edit?usp=sharing

Looks good.
A few remarks:
  * There is no structure for benchmarks in Commons Math" (there are
    home-made codes used there for "FastMath" (that have shown that
    "FastMath is nos always fast...).
    Here the purpose is to use JMH. [There are examples in "Commons
    RNG".]
  * I'd suggest "apt" for the documentation format since it is
    somewhat easier than "xdoc" for tables (as the likely output
    of the benchmark project).
  * Don't hesitate to open JIRA reports for each task that may need
    interaction on the details
  * At first sight, script(s) to convert from JMH's output to "apt"
    would be welcome.

> Please let me know what you think about it.  You can reply to this
> mailing
> list, comment on the doc, or email me directly.

Let's keep discussion on this list so that everyone interested
can participate.

Best,
Gilles