commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] High Level API for Archives
Date Wed, 02 May 2018 13:41:42 GMT
On 2018-05-01, Matt Sicker wrote:

> On 1 May 2018 at 12:23, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@vafer.org> wrote:

>> That smell must be something else ;)
>> Just have a look at the dependencies

>>   https://github.com/apache/commons-compress/blob/master/pom.xml#L69

> Right, I see several dependencies marked "optional" which means as an end
> user, I still have to specify those particular dependencies (which also
> means hunting down the correct compatible version if applicable). In a
> modular sense, I'd be able to just use the commons-compress-foo dependency
> and get third party dependencies transitively.

It's a bit more complex than that. A hypothetical commons-sevenz would
stil have an optional dependency on commons-lzma which then has a real
depedendency on XZ for Java. The 7z code doesn't need XZ for Java if the
archive you want to read only contains deflated entries. I don't think
you'd want to split the sevenz module into one that requires lzma and
one that doesn't.

Stefan