commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject [Numbers] More modules (Was: [Statistics] Port codes from Commons Math)
Date Sat, 19 May 2018 16:32:30 GMT
Hello Gimhana.

On Thu, 17 May 2018 23:32:15 +0200, Gilles wrote:
> Hi Gimhana.
>
> On Fri, 18 May 2018 00:16:04 +0530, Gimhana Nadeeshan wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We might want to create a public branch for that work in order to
>>> merge PRs more quickly without risk of breaking "master".
>>> What do you think?  Eric?
>>>

>> I ported the Statistics Interval Module and would like to get your
>> reviews.
>> How should I make the Pull request ?

I've had a quick look, but as I've noted in the JIRA comment, revamping
stat codes from "Commons Math" into "Commons Statistics" is a lot of
work, part redesign, and part porting/adaptation.

You could more easily get acquainted with the formalities of
contributing
to "Commons" (e.g. conventions, reports, doc, etc.) by tackling tasks
where there is no redesign involved (except the simplification
concerning
e.g. the handling of exceptions).

Would you be interested in examining whether the codes which I
mentioned
in [1] could be ported to "Commons Numbers"?  These are smaller tasks
which I could devote some review time, while for "Commons Statistics" I
don't want to enter an open-ended discussion on how to improve the
design
without the involvment of users of the "Commons Math" stat codes.

Regards,
Gilles

[1] https://markmail.org/message/x6ng4ao62jjbj763

> I've just created a new branch on the repository; please make
> all PR refer to "task_STATISTICS-5".
> I also suggest that you create finer-grained "sub-tasks" of
>   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STATISTICS-5
>
> Thanks,
> Gilles
>

>> Best Regards,
>> Gimhana
>>

>> On 5 May 2018 at 18:50, Gilles <gilles@harfang.homelinux.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Gimhana.

>>> Nit-pick: module names have no capital in them (just a convention).
>>> So: "commons-statistics-core" rather than
>>> "Commons-Statistics-Core", etc.
>>>
>>> While I referring Commons-Geometry
>>>>

>>> No need to refer to that project since "Commons Statistics" has
>>> been
>>> set up:
>>>   http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-statistics/
>>>
>>> The code repository is here:
>>>   https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=commons-statisti
>>> cs.git;a=tree
>>> It already contains a "commons-statistics-distribution" module
>>> whose
>>> layout can be duplicated in the modules which you are proposing
>>> above
>>> (with appropriate changes of course).
>>>
>>> ported code to get a head start , I
>>>>

>>> A requirement is that no package should be shared between different
>>> modules; by convention, the top-level package of module
>>>   commons-statistics-descriptive
>>> would be
>>>   org.apache.commons.statistics.descriptive
>>>
>>> [And so on for the other modules. But I'd suggest you start with
>>> one.]
>>>
>>> If so in here should I create all 7 projects and then group those
>>> in same
>>>>

>>> No, the project is "Commons Statisitics" and it would contain
>>> several
>>> _maven_ modules, each of which should ultimately map to a _JPMS_
>>> (JDK9)
>>> module).
>>>
>>> Firstly I suppose to start port Ranking Module as it has less
>>>>

>>> Fine. But don't forget to browse through the JIRA issues of Commons
>>> Math (CM) for things that would need fixing.  Whenever it's the