commons-dev mailing list archives

From Gilles <gil...@harfang.homelinux.org>
Subject Re: [geometry] Polar/Spherical Coordinates API
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2018 12:20:03 GMT
Hi.

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 18:44:47 +0000, Matt Juntunen wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I didn't receive any feedback on this so I'm going to assume that
> everyone is okay with this approach.

More likely, nobody had a look. :-}

> I'm working on a pull request now
>
> (https://github.com/darkma773r/commons-geometry/tree/polar-spherical-working).
> Also, I'm changing the property names of the existing
> SphericalCoordinates class from "r", "theta", and "phi" to "radius",
> "azimuth", and "polar" since there are competing conventions for the
> meanings of "theta" and "phi" and the latter set of property names is
> unambiguous and far more intuitive. Likewise, the properties for the
> PolarCoordinates class are "radius" and "azimuth" (there was no prior
> version of this class).

Personally, I don't think one or the other is more intuitive;
it's more a question of habit, but most importantly, it should
be documented and, if possible, the names should follow the
convention used in the reference (most often links to Wikipedia,
or Mathworld).

Best regards,
Gilles